Tuesday, July 12, 2016

12 Jul 2016 - Condiments/Sauces edition

There are so many good condiments (Würze) and sauces here in Germany, I thought I'd write a post about it.

1) Mayonnaise - Most of the mayos here taste more like American "Miracle Whip" than "Best foods". They're a little sweet. I don't know the difference between Deli mayo and Salat-mayo.  But if you want the US type mayo, buy the McDonald's brand mayo.






2) Knoblauch sauce - Garlic Sauce.  It's amazing.



3) French Dressing - Of the ones I've tried, they're nothing like the American-style french dressing that I'm used to.



4) Balsamic vinaigrette - Very strong and very good.



5) Sweet and Sour sauce is weak and not very sweet OR sour.



6) The sweet Asian sauces that I'm used to (and the very spicy ones) don't seem to exist in the grocery stores.  No General Tso, Sesame, Schezwan, etc.  I've only experienced Chinese food here in Karlsruhe though.

Yeah, that's the real General Tso (from 1875) set against a backdrop of his chicken
Bonus link

6.5) Soy sauce tastes like I expect, but teriyaki is hard to find.

7) Mustard comes in many styles including american-style Yellow mustard (like french's.)  And I can't find any of the thick brown chunky mustards that I'm used to.  However, there are a ton of sweet (honey?) mustards, and you can get mustards from regular to extra scharf (extra spicy.)



8) Ketchup - There are so many kinds!  Curry flavored is very popular, but I've also seen Mexican ketchup. There is, of course, McDonald's brand ketchup.


9) Rapeseed oil - a disturbing name, but I believe it's Canola oil in the US.



10) Sriracha - This exists, but it's not the brand I'm used to in the states (Rooster). I'm told it tastes the same though, even if it's mascot is a goose.




Bonus Link




11) Peanut sauce - The Chinese food in peanut sauce I get is in a very thin, peanut flavored sauce, rather than the thick sauce I'm used to.  Perhaps if I got Thai peanut sauce it'd be thicker like I remember.



12) Gong Bao - I think this is an analog to Kung Pao, it's a brown, slightly spicy sauce. No peanuts though.



No comments:

Post a Comment