Monday, October 3, 2016

03 Oct 2016 - Black Forest


1) We went to Mummelsee in the Black Forest last week with some good friends.

My pic of the See with the hotel on the other side.



It entailed a bit of a hike (about 2km) up to the lake, but when we got there it was fun.  There are a metric ton (because I'm in Europe, it's a metric ton, and not a butt load) of myths and fairy tales about the see:






"Legends swirl around Mummelsee (see=lake) in the northern Black Forest. The Black Forest, in Germany's Baden-Wurttemberg region, is a land of fairy tales and enchanted forests, and Mummelsee is a small jewel tucked away in the midst of the mystical land. Stories tell of the King of Mummelsee and his water nymphs that live in the lake. Quiet during the day, the king and nymphs are said to rise to the surface of the lake at night. Some stories say the nymphs or mermaids are actually the nuns that lived at the bottom of what is now 55-foot deep Mummel Lake. Legend says a monastery once stood on the site of Mummelsee. The nuns helped local farm families and cared for their children. When one nun fell in love with a farm boy, however, everything changed, and black water bubbled up from the earth to swallow the monastery. According to tales, the monastery still stands at the bottom of the lake."






A "See" is a lake or sea (duh, english is a germanic language.)

The King of Mummelsee


We had real Black Forest Cake (Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte).  The cake was amazing, and had some Kirschwasser (schnapps) in it!

We also got some black forest ham.  The black forest ham is smoked and VERY salty. A little in some pasta, or very thinly sliced on a piece of bread goes a long way.



Image result for mummelsee black forest ham



The forest itself was dark and mysterious.





The lake was beautiful.  Small, but beautiful. 

2. People are invariably nice.  They may seem a little standoff-ish (not as many random smiles per capita), but smile at them, and they always smile back. :)




Before (and since) coming here, I read a lot about Germans being emotionless, and I have to say that it's not true in the least. (in my experience.)  Many here are very passionate, especially when you get to know them a little, but when in formal situations or out and about, I think it's normal to put on a neutral face.



3. When driving, there's this rule that if the road is small and can only fit a single car driving through, then the person who is in the side with parked cars in the street must wait cars coming the other way.



I always wave at people who are pulled over so I can get past.  I don't mean like a princess wave or a big dorky wave, but just a raise of the hand, and I nearly always get one back.  It's a small thing, but makes me feel like I belong.



4. My puritan/protestant self is still a little shocked at seeing nudity on TV during the day. In this case, at a breakfast restaurant.



5. We found an "American" restaurant in Mannheim called Benjamin's that has an American breakfast buffet.  We went with a very good friend, and had a blast.  It's the first place I could get french toast!  They also had club sandwich quarters and tuna salad wraps (?!?), but they had good pancakes and good syrup and a LOT of american style bacon. I was in heaven.



6. There's this thing our family calls the German straight arm.  If you're not walking quickly enough, sometimes someone will put an arm out and just walk through you.  To be fair, it's happened with older people and not young.  They don't seem to do it with malice or anger, it's just a thing.  I've also experienced the driving equivalent.  If I'm going the exact speed limit, I often get passed.  Again, they don't seem angry, it's just a thing.

Luckily, I played American Football, so I know how to handle it.  I just grab their shirt and take them to the ground.   Ok, no I don't.



7. They have "Drink Markets" that are big warehouse type stores that just sell drinks by the case full. They're called Getränkemarkts.





SO MUCH BEER there.  But also many, many kinds of water, both still (uncarbonated) and with gas (sparkling.)  Much of the water is mineral water, with that mineral water taste.  I'm partial to still water without the mineral taste personally. I go through two liters of water a day, at minimum.

Often water costs more than beer.




Still having a great time in Germany.  We're really enjoying the people, the weather, and most of all the sights. 



No comments:

Post a Comment