Friday, August 25, 2017

Random Thoughts 25 Aug 2017




I heard the Scorpions on the radio this morning and it got me thinking. I think I expected to hear much more Scorpions, Nena, Rammstein, Falco (sorry, I know he’s Austrian), Nena and Hasslehof while here. I also expected to hear more music in German, but most of what I hear are American or English songs.


Image result for rock me amadeus

As I was driving in this morning, I realized that here in Karlsruhe (at least in Waldstadt), the crosswalks where bikes and people cross the road are raised about a foot from the rest of the road creating a natural speed bump. Efficient.

I’m still amazed at how many types of sausage there are here, but I suppose that’s no surprise. What HAS surprised me is the wide variety of meat ‘loafs’. Unlike the meatloaf I’m used to (roughly ground beef formed into a loaf), the meat loafs (Leberkäse, or Fleischkäse) here are made from very finely ground meat. I think it’s almost always pork.

Leberkäse
Leberkäse


Käseleberkäse (lit. cheese-liver-cheese, really pork and cheese)


Of course, there’s a huge variety of them, and many that include, um, bits of other things mixed in.
Pizzaleberkäse (literally Pizza liver cheese, but without the liver), often includes cheese, peppers, pickles and Salami. If only it had some tomato sauce, it would be very much like pizza. Oh, and pineapple.

Pizzaleberkäse

Zwiebelleberkäse (onion) is made with onions and seems to be a specialty down here in Swabia-land.  In fact, when I buy it, it usually seems to be raw.

Forgive me when I say, it reminds me of a very high quality spam. Cubed and fried with eggs, it makes a great spam-and-eggs substitute.

When I just want a hot-dog, it’s a bit hard to find a wurst (sausage) that tastes like I want it to. Of course, you can find _some_ hotdogs in a supermarket, but in our markets, they tend to come in kits (with a bun and weiner) that aren’t very good. We’ve tended to use käsewurst (port sausage with cheese mixed in) as a substitute. Not a real hotdog, but close enough.


Some of the Fleischkäse also tastes very, very much like a US hotdog. Which means I can put it on a bun and have a hot-dog-burger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment