Tuesday, April 5, 2016

05.04.2016


1. In the US, my doctor always had me go to a separate lab for blood draws. Here, my doctor (his nurses) do it in the office. Much more convenient and they get results the next day. They probably still send it out to get processed, but I'm sure it's quite a bit cheaper to do the draw in house.
2. Cool Ranch Doritos are Cool American Doritos here.
3. Froop Joghurt is the bomb. There's this super intense layer of fruit at the top that you (I) mix in. The orange tastes just like an orange cream sicle.
4. When someone is getting on the tram with a wheelchair, or more commonly a stroller, people are very quick to help out. It's nice to see.
5. Where's all of the Hasslehoff stuff? I was made to believe (in the US) that David Hasslehoff was HUGE in Germany. Didn't he do a concert at the wall? Didn't spongebob ride him like a surfboard? Didn't he coach the german dodgeball team in Dodgeball?
6) I'm beginning to understand the outcry at various pieces of tech that ship first in the US and only later come to the EU. It's super annoying. And usually much more expensive.
7) The rampant price gouging on Amazon.de for common american foods is super annoying. They clutter the searches. There are a ton of very expensive (over 100 euro) food items, like Mio water flavoring or Teriyaki sauce (a couple of dollars in the US). Of course, there's only 1 or 2 in stock. My guess is that they took a trip to America, filled their suitcase, came back and now sell them on Amazon at a 1000% markup.

8) As with any other place, there are a few people begging for coins here. The various tactics are interesting. One lady with a small child came up to me, very close, and asked for 5 Euros. Then the little boy (who had an ice cream cone) told me he hadn't eaten in a while, could I please help. All in good english. When I declined, they didn't stop, getting physically closer and closer. I finally stepped away and then walked away. I'm usually very generous, but that one was just a little scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment