Tuesday, April 12, 2016

TILIG 12.04.2016 (with questions this time)


1. I have yet to see an in-sink garbage disposal. Are they not common here?
2. The water here in Karlsruhe is very hard, mineralized water. Leaves hard water stains on everything. Are there water softener solutions? Are they worth it?
3. If I buy a (used) car at a dealer, will they handle _all_ the paperwork for me, including registration? I know I need to provide insurance.
4. I need some documents notarized with an Apostille. Anyone know of one in Karlsruhe?
5. Despite the environmental consequences, I miss soda in cans. They DO seem to have jack and coke in cans, but not otherwise.

6. They are very serious about recycling bottles and such here. There is a whole eco system here with specialized machines take in bottles (and crates of bottles) and that give you credit back.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jeffrey,

    I'm from Karlsruhe (Waldstadt) and just stumbled upon your blog. I'll try to answer your questions:
    1. No one I know has something like that.
    2. The water contains about as much calcium as milk. It's very healthy and you get used to the taste. However, you should descale your coffee machine, washing machine etc. regularly.
    3. I'm not sure on that one. I bought a used car 2 years ago and had to register it myself (in Hagsfeld), but the dealer was around Stuttgart. Maybe they can do it for you, if they're in Karlsruhe. Just pick a dealer, call them and ask. Registration of a car costs around 60€. You need to get insurance first, they'll give you an eVB-number which you (or the dealer, if that's possible) need to show on registration.
    4. Sorry, can't help here

    ReplyDelete