Saturday, May 7, 2016

07.05.2016


1) I bought Pillsbury cinnamon rolls (German kind).  They were not only far less sweet, they didn't come with those cool frosting cups.


So Beth made her own cream cheese frosting!   Note that they didn't come pre-cut, or with those weird cinnamon stepping stones like on US rolls.


2) I tried to get my first haircut in Germany.  I'm oddly very worried about it. Evidently. there is no walk-in service, and the two in Hagsfeld close at noon and 1. 

I miss supercuts. 

3) One thing we really miss is Jimmy Dean hot sausage.  We used it in so many things: Meatloaf, breakfast sausage, and most importantly: gravy for biscuits and gravy.  The nearest thing we can find to "american" breakfast sausage is Nuremburg sausage, but I think it only _almost_ tastes american because it has some sage in it.  Then I found THIS recipe. 


4) I looked up butchers in Hagsfeld, and ran across one called Butcher R. Vogt.  At first, I thought that maybe his first name was butcher, but many professional storefronts/people seem to have their title in their names (a little differently than I'd expect.)   Dr. med Aschoff for doctors. Butcher Vogt for a butcher.

Beth and I went and got a kilo of ground pork. (or 2ish pounds.) It went reasonably well. It took a bit to realize we needed to ask for swine hackfleisch.  But we succeeded!

5) The downside of food delivery is relying on it.  Don't get me wrong, today was the first day we had a problem.  Evidently, the driver of the truck wrecked it (he's OK.) and we had to re-order.



No comments:

Post a Comment