Saturday, May 14, 2016

14.05.2016

1) So far, bathrooms don't have exhaust fans.  Which means that a bathroom is sometimes "off limits" for a long while.

2) We got cable here.  I'm finding it useful to listen to German on TV when learning the language. Plus there are a ton of US language programs.  But they don't always have the same names: like "Navy CIS" instead of NCIS.

One cool thing is that our Horizon box (the special cable box) can be set to prefer an audio language, so when it's available, we can listen to shows in English.

One un-cool thing is the Youth Protection Act, which has caused the cable provider to disable the ability to turn OFF the parental controls.  Which means that whenever I want to watch Navy CIS, I have to enter a PIN number. Because it's rated 16+.  NCIS is rated as adults only.  NCIS.

3) I was invited to a BBQ at a Schrebergärten! It's an allotment garden that's intended to provide city dwellers the ability to own a little open space and grow their own food.  In fact, in some gardens (all?) you must devote 1/3 of the space to food growing, 1/3 to grass and 1/3 to "recreation".

They seem to be guided by associations much like HOAs in the US, that decide what you can and can't grow, ensure that your grass and garden is well tended, etc.  In the garden I visited, it all seemed very strict. You can't stay in it overnight, even to camp.

4) Insurance here seems to be more about liability (covering other's goods) than covering your own goods. And there are so many kinds. So many.

5) I mentioned before that our household goods insurance require us to have external house doors that
lock automatically. In our temp flat, and here at the new house, the locks don't have a way to set the deadbolt without a key for the inside as well. Which means we have to keep a key near the front door to lock it at night.

And for some reason you have to turn the key two full revolutions to set the deadbolt rather than one.

6) Really Budweiser?  America?



7) I tried a cider 'sampler' pack the other day.  Cider here is "hard" cider in the states, often (always?) made from fruit (apples, berries, etc.)   Of the sampler, there was one that I knew I'd like because it tastes very much like apple/berry juice and I'd had it before. (Bulmers berries and lime)


The problems is that every one of the other 5 tasted just like beer, and I dislike the taste of beer. (Don't tell the government, I'd like to stay in Germany. )


8) I'm arachnaphobic. I am afraid of spiders.  I've seen two here so far, and they are terrifying. Mostly because they look a little different (very thin legs, very fat bodies.).


No comments:

Post a Comment