Monday, May 9, 2016

09.05.2016


Auto edition
1) So, I want to go and buy a car. In the US, I'd go to a dealer, pick my car, sign paperwork, and drive it home. My current insurance would automatically cover me for 3 days until I could call them and get it officially covered.
I'm finding out that it's a bit different here.
I'm told that I go to a dealer, Pick the car then wait one or two days for the paperwork to be done, during which time, I give information about the car to an insurance company. When I have a special number, I go and pick up the car (and sign other paperwork.) Ideally, they also register it with the authorities.
German folks, did I get that right? I'm still a little confused.

2) I haven't seen a single pickup truck here.


3) To get a German driver's license, I need to have a fully translated american license, including the class of the license (presumably it translates to a German license class.)
If I'm lucky (and I am), I live in a state that has a reciprocal agreement with Germany. Washington state does so.
If your state doesn't have an agreement, you have to either:
  1. Take the behind the wheel driving test 
  2. Take the written test
  3. Do both, after paying 1-2k for driving lessons.


In two weeks or so, I get a German license. Not sure if I need to give up my US license yet. We'll see.

4) I have 6 months from my date of entry into Germany to drive on my US license.
...
profit.

No comments:

Post a Comment