Sunday, March 20, 2016

20.03.2016


1) Taking your time in a grocery store makes all the difference. I think the first dozen times, we just wanted to get in and get out. We were nervous we'd be found out as foreigners, all of the German was just too overwhelming, and I think we assumed the food would all be very different.
Yesterday, Robin and I just took our time, looked at everything we wanted to look at, spoke English(!) whenever we wanted to while discussing various products, asked about one or two (it's surprising how much gesturing works), and in the end, we bought a bunch of good food, found some new favorites, and felt like it worked really well.
Certainly, the fact that we're learning a lot of German very quickly helped.
2) Nose rings are really a thing here. I've seen so many on young women. More so that I'm used to seeing in Seattle. Also fewer outrageous hair colors.
3) Do public cigarette machines mean a lot more very young people smoking? My observations seem to agree that there are a lot of 14 year olds walking around smoking. Granted, I'm assuming causation when it could just be correlation.
4) In the US, most cars sold are automatic (3.9% of cars sold in the US in 2013 were manual.) Here, most seem to be manual. Why the difference? I know there are differing opinions on whether or not manual or automatic transmissions are more fuel efficient. Certainly manual is more fun to drive, but it's also more work, I suppose. Maybe Americans are just less interested in all of the work a manual requires, especially when driving in heavy traffic. I know my knees like an automatic.
5) These are getting harder to write. I'm finding myself getting very comfortable with life here. But I'm sure more will come.

6) Fleischsalat is awesome. I've certainly eaten much more pig (and ham - schinken) here than in the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment