Monday, March 21, 2016

21.02.2016


Ok, this is more about what I've learned so far in Germany.
People are people, whether here or in the US. Some are loud and boisterous, some are stoic and quiet. But one thing I've found moving is the compassion of many of the people I've met/run across.
One example was a young German man who was distressed near one of the trains. I believe he had Downs Syndrome. He was swearing up a storm (I learned some new words), but was very clearly upset. I didn't know how I could help and I felt paralyzed, but out of the blue, a woman came over, calmed him down, helped him with his packages (that had gotten torn), and helped him onto the train. Then walked off like nothing had happened.
Germany trusts it's people not to do stupid things, and doesn't legislate 'safety' as much as in the US. The playgrounds are like playgrounds from when I was a kid. Yeah, I could hurt myself, but that's what being a kid was all about. There aren't lots of railings around the train stops. Yeah, you could be hit by a train, but everyone is very rational, and is careful and it doesn't happen often.
When I was 6, I rode two public buses to get to and from school. It took me an hour to get to and from school. And I lived in one of the worst parts of east LA. These days, in the US, letting your children walk to and from school might get you arrested for child endangerment and have your children taken away.
Here, It's not unusual to find children (6 or 7?) riding the trams long distances by themselves. They are perfectly comfortable and very self reliant.
In many ways, I feel safer here than anywhere I lived in the US. There simply isn't the same menace that I feel in parts of downtown Seattle, for example.
I'm still adjusting to not having access to Velveeta, to the 2 hours of riding the tram a day, the anxiety of new restaurants when I have to make myself understood, and I try my German (which never goes well.)

But overall, I'm really happy here, and I think Robin and Beth are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment